Monday 15 July 2013

Evidence of me leading a plotting (technical) session

As my lighting design was for all of the drama exam pieces many of them required spot lights so I decided to use as many as the space would allow. This photo displays the final focusing of all four of the spotlights
This lighting state is a generic general cover I used for indoor lighting in a waiting room/ office set up. However I also added in the three front fresnels that you can see in the bottom of this picture on the floor as the waiting room they were in was in a prison and I wanted to create a harsh and intense feeling on stage. All three of the fresnels were Open White and were focsed on the widest beam possible. 
This picture shows how we checked the lights behind the window and made sure that the light was not too intense on their face as the light was in close proximity of their faces. It also shows a different  style general wash that is a lot colder and more uncomfortable looking. It also shows how I isolated the chairs in the centre of the stage with a blue tinted light which adds to the uncomfortable and harsh atmosphere I wanted to create.  

This picture shows the director of the drama exams commenting on and compromising on this lighting state. She wanted to create a dramatic and uncomfortable look to the performance so she asked me to add in the blue back light only and very minimal general wash mid stage so that only they were highlighted. However she was not entirely happy with how that looked and wanted it to be brighter still, however still keeping with the cold and depressive look to the stage so I suggested she added the white side light on stage right. 
This picture shows a scene in one of the drama performances where the director was demonstrating to me where she wanted the light to hit the actors as they lay on the bed. and that the figure dressed in white was supposed to personify a good moral conscience or a guardian angel. So like before she wanted a general cover but with certain positive connotations. So I again added in the same bright white side light only this time the meaning of the light was slightly changed. 

This is a video that shows how my general cover worked. If you follow the boys shadow you can see that his shadow splits from 2 to 3 and then back again. Focusing the lights in a three point general cover is important as it means the light will constantly hit the actors body no matter where they are on stage. It also means that there wont be any shadows on their faces or bodies. (Unless this is wanted then you could remove individual lights to create this.



This video shows me using someone to find the centre of the down stage right general cover beams so that I can get the right amount of coverage. I am asking the person at the top of the ladder, who is altering the light for me, to focus and adjust the beam angel and width so that it does this.

No comments:

Post a Comment